Dominaria United Box Toppers: Everything You Need to Know

Dominaria United marks the 30th anniversary of Magic: the Gathering. In addition to making a return to one of the most beloved setting in all of MTG, Dominaria United is giving us all sorts of special stuff to look forward to, not least of which is real cards from the original Legends set! What about the Dominaria United box toppers, though? Does Wizards of the Coast have something special planned for those as well? I’m glad you asked.

As it turns out, Dominaria United will feature 20 different box toppers, all of which will be upgraded versions of Legendary creatures from the original Legends set!

Read on for a deep dive into the box toppers for Magic’s newest set, Dominaria United.

Table of Contents

  1. Legends Retold
  2. How Do Dominaria United Box Toppers Work?
  3. Are Legends Retold Standard Legal?
  4. Original Legends and Legends Retold Cards
  5. Dominaria United Box Toppers List
  6. End Step

Legends Retold

sivitri Scarzam
sivitri dragon master

The original Legends set came out all the way back in 1994. Legends brought us several figuratively legendary cards like Library of Alexndria, Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, and Chains of Mephistopheles that have heavily influenced the game of Magic. What turned out to not be so legendary about the set, however, was the Legendary creatures.

Despite being super flavorful and iconic, the Legendary creatures from Legends all kind of stink in terms of power and playability.

That’s why Wizards of the Coast decided to take 20 of these OG Legends and reimagine them, giving them upgraded stats and abilities. These 20 updated Legends will be given as box toppers for Dominaria United, and will also be included in collector booster packs.

RELATED: The Best Dominaria United Cards: Spoilers Overview

How Do Dominaria United Box Toppers Work?

Every sealed Dominaria United booster box will include one Foil Legends Retold card as a box topper. You have a roughly 50% chance of getting one of the Rare Legends, a 37.5% chance of getting one of the Uncommons, and a 12.5% chance of getting a Mythic Rare.

These reimagined Legends will also be included within Collector Booster packs in Foil-Etched and non-Foil versions.

Dominaria United Collector Booster Box | 12 Packs + Box Topper Card
$204.80
Buy On Amazon Buy On TCGplayer
We earn a commission if you make a purchase, at no additional cost to you.
11/07/2022 02:49 pm GMT

Are Legends Retold Standard Legal?

No, the Legends Retold are technically a part of the Dominaria United Commander set, meaning they won’t be Standard legal. They will, of course, be legal in Commander, Legacy and Vintage however.

Dominaria United Set Booster Box | 30 Packs + Box Topper Card (361 Magic Cards)
$122.99
Buy Now Buy On TCGplayer
We earn a commission if you make a purchase, at no additional cost to you.
11/07/2022 02:59 pm GMT

Original Legends and New Legends Retold Cards

ayesha tanaka
ayesha tanaka armorer
halfdane
the ever changing dane
marhault elsdragon
general marhault elsdragon
hazezon tamar
hazezon shaper of sand
jasmine boreal
jasmine boreal of the seven
jedit ojanen
jedit ojanen mercenary
the lady of the mountain
the lady of otaria
lady orca
orca seige demon
lady caleria
ohabi caleria
ramirez depietro
ramirez depietro pillager
ramses overdark
ramses assassin lord
rasputin dreamweaver
rasputin the oneiromancer
rohgahh of kher keep
rohgahh kher keep overlord
sivtri scarzam
sivitri dragon master
stangg
stangg echo warrior
tetsuo umezawa
tetsuo imperial champion
tobias andrion
tobias doomed conqueror
tor wauki
tor wauki the younger
torsten von ursus
torsten founder of benelia
xira arien
xira the golden sting

Dominaria United Box Toppers List

End Step

I’m personally super excited to get my hands on these Legends Retold cards. I think Wizards did a great job keeping the original flavor while upping the power level and the playability.

Dominaria United releases September 9th, and Prerelease starts a week earlier. Until then, be sure to check back here often for all the latest news and spoilers.

Photo of author

Joe Doak

I started playing Magic in 2015 after impulsively buying a fat-pack of Khans of Tarkir. It didn't take long for me to fall in love with the game, and it's been a big part of my life ever since. Nowadays, I play moslty Modern, Commander, and Limited, but also enjoy keeping up with Standard. Whatever the format, I always find a way to brew up janky decks, convince myself they're great, get proven wrong, and love every second of it.